Thursday, April 26, 2012

Faux Patina....Sunflower!

Looking for this week's Loves Rubberstamps Blog Challenge? Go Here: April Showers

Hi Everyone! Hope your day has been a good one! Today's card was really fun for me to make! I used a technique that I had never tried before and thought it turned out really pretty!

The Technique I used on the background is called Faux Patina and I saw the tutorial on splitcoaststampers. I used different colors than in the tutorial so it would qualify for this weeks color challenge (CC372) on splitcoaststampers... using More Mustard, Pool Party, & Early Espresso. The thing about color challenges sometimes is that I would probably NEVER have chosen these on my own but after making this card - I love them together! This would be a great color combo for Fall projects too.

The colors I used to create the Faux Patina background on this card are: Crumb Cake, Pool Party, Always Artichoke & Early Espresso

The stamp that I used is one of my favorite flowers... SUNFLOWERS! This sunflower is from the Paint Fushion Collection by Sheena Douglass from Crafter's Companion.

I colored my flower by sponging on ink. I used More Mustard on the petals, Early Espresso in the middle. I used pool party in the middle of my leaf and then always artichoke and sponged the edges with early espresso. I did two layers of the sunflower and popped them on dimensionals to give it more of a 3D look.

The layout for my card is this week's Mojo Monday Sketch #238

After making this card I played around with the Faux Patina Technique and tried using a few different color combos and thought they all turned out pretty neat in their own ways. Just remember to use:

1 - A light base color
2 - A blue color
3 - A green color
4 - A brown color
5 - then versamark random areas and gold emboss

Here are the other color combos I tried left to right:

1 - More Mustard, Tempting Turquoise, Old Olove & Chocolate Chip
2 - Sahara Sand, Pool Party, Pear Pizazz & Soft Suede
3 - Crumb Cake, Marina Mist, Always Artichoke, Early Espresso

Hope you will try this technique!
Happy Stamping! - Laura

Pin It

3 comments:

Heather North

Very striking card. I love the faux patina background you created and the way your sunflower pops off the card.

Teresa Kline

this is stunning, I adore the sunflower..thanks for playing along with us at Mojo Monday!

enjoy *~*

Jenny hobbs

Very cool technique!

Post a Comment