Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sensational Sunday Inspirations - Watercolor Distress

Good Morning Stampers!

Welcome to the Loves Rubberstamps weekly Sensational Sunday Blog Hop! The Design Team has created some gorgeous projects for your Inspiration. Check out each link and leave a comment. If you get lost along the way, each stop will have a full list of links. One of the Design Team posts is the hop's Sensational Sunday Sweet Spot and a name will be drawn from that list of comments to be in a monthly drawing for a $20 Loves Rubberstamps Gift Voucher! We will draw the winner of the Voucher the 1st Sunday of each month from all the comments left on the design team blogs! Remember, you have until 8:00 pm CST Saturday to leave your comments!

Before you hop along with the Design Team Ladies I wanted to let you know that we are doing our FIRST FACEBOOK PRIZE GIVEAWAY  this week! We are giving away a set of the Tropical Gelatos Color Kit:



Check out our FACEBOOK PAGE for details on the drawing :) We will be drawing our winner later tonight at 9pm Central time!

We have also posted a DT call for our January through April Session and would love to have you apply so check out the details! We will have the call open through November 18th.

Now onto my project that I created for you today :) When I went to my craft room I had a project in mind that I had planned out and was prepared to create .... until I sat down....then I was like...ehhhh...I don't feel like doing that. LOL! Do you ever do that?

Last night while at work, once we slowed down, I started watching a few you-tube videos about watercoloring with Distress Inks and thought you know what...I want to try that! I have the whole set of distress ink markers and had yet to really use them, outside of one or two here or there. So that is what I ended up doing for my project! I just decided to try something new for me (both watercoloring in general and using distress inks for more than just sponging backgrounds) and I just had some fun!


For my card I was totally inspired by a video I watched done by K Werner Design. Here is a link to the video.  For my card I love Sunflowers and had these big beautiful Sunflower stamps from the Sheena Douglas collection. I thought they would look so pretty done in this style of card. So I inked up the stamps using versamark ink and then stamped them onto Strathmore 140lb Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper. I really like this watercolor paper it is pretty smooth. I then used white embossing powder and embossed the flower heads. I looked all through what stamp sets of mine that were easy to get to (I need to organize and get in my craft room still :( ... and I could not find any silhouette leaves to use for the background. So I pulled out my Tattered Angels stamp set called Flowering Vine and used that which I think turned out really pretty!

Here is a closer look at my Sunflowers:




I used the Tim Holtz Distress Ink Markers to color the flowers. I scribbled some of the marker color onto my craft mat and then spritzed some plain water separate and then watercolored onto the paper. The colors I used were: Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Rusty Hinge, and for the flower centers - Gathered Twigs and Vintage Photo. I love the detail in the flower centers with all the little flicks of white from the embossing powder.

For the background color of the card I used my large Pumice Stone Distress Pad and smooshed it onto my craft mat twice and then spritzed some water onto it and watercolored the background. Pumice Stone, when watercolored, takes on a really cool look...it has some areas that look almost purple and I also had some areas that looked like they had kind of a green tone. So I really loved it. Then what I decided to do before my card front was dry was spritz the top using Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist from Tattered Angels. Here is a picture from the side a little so you can see this beautiful shimmer the gold gave to the card. This shimmer covers the whole card front so it is really pretty in real life:



I decided to use a Tim Holtz key for my "sentiment" for now because I wanted more of a generic card that could be used for a Sympathy card, birthday, thinking of you and the key just seemed perfect! Here is a closer look:


I liked how the key was not really silver, and not really gold but had some tones of each and since it just says "Life" it would be good for a variety of occasions! If you look at this picture you can see the kind of purples, greens, and grays colors that the pumice stone seemed to create! All in all I really love how this turned out! Thank you to K Werner Design for a great tutorial! I do have to say that after watching her videos and many of Jennifer McGuire's on watercolor backgrounds with Distress Inks.....I may have found my new favorite thing....so be prepared to see me do this a lot - LOL....you may ban me from you-tube watching in the future! :D

Now let's hop along and see what the Design Team ladies have in store for you...

Thanks for stopping by!
Laura!

I will be entering this into the following challenges:

Paper Creator's Crafts - Anything Goes
Di's Digi Designs - Colors of Autumn
Treasured Times Rubber Stamps - Anything Goes
Vandicrafts' Artistry Challenge - Anything Goes
ShowCASe Your Style - Tic Tac Toe - Twine, White, Emboss
Inkspirational - Shine
Sister Act Card Challenge - Anything Goes
Dragon's Lair Challenges - Autumn Colors
Moving Along With The Times - Sparkle & Shine
Crafting By Designs - Anything Goes
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes
Party Time Tuesdays - Anything Goes
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
Try It On Tuesday - Colors of Autumn
Timbro Scrap Mania - Sparkle

I have used the following products on my card:

White Embossing Powder (unknown store brand)
Stampin Up Very Vanilla and Early Espresso Cardstock
Strathmore 140 lb Watercolor Hot Pressed Paper
Tattered Angels - Iridescent Gold Shimmer Mist



19 comments:

~Denise Lynn~

Gorgeous card Laura! Thanks for joining in our showCASe you style challenge!

Sid

Fab card !

Dangina Martinez

This is fabulous! Love the way you've created this! WOW!
Hugs, Dangina

IamUniquelyImperfect

I love sunflowers and your's are beautiful. That card is fantastic. I love the colors, just everything about it. Tfs Love ya' Patricia B

Holly AKA KopyKat

This is so beautiful! I love the shimmer and the colors you created. Fabulous.

Sue B

Oh Wow! this is gorgeous Laura… what a beautiful design… I love the colours and the pretty shimmer… the flowers are stunning! :-)
Thanks for joining us at MAWTT and good luck in the challenge!
Big hugs
Sue B xx

Unknown

Stunning card. Just love the way it all comes together. Thank you for sharing and for participating in our challenge.
Cindy DT TTCRD

D-

Thanks for sharing your GORGEOUS card. Thanks for sharing. LOVE it.
Crafty hugs,
D~
DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

NGCARDS

This is a lovely card! Thanks for joining us at PTW! xxx

sandie

those sunflowers really do look stunning,the embossing is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Ink

Mrs.B

This is such a gorgeous card, love those sunflowers and the shimmer looks beautiful.
Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
Avril x

Meggymay

A beautiful card, thank you for joining us at TioT's this time.
Yvonne

Karenladd

This is so beautiful! I love the Pumice Stone ink and the way it seems to change color with the watercolor technique. Wonderful texture and design!

Rubeena I.

very beautiful card!

Dawn Louise

Beautiful card, wonderful. Thanks for inspiring me to get my markers out and use them more.

cm

A gorgeous card, filled with pretty sunflowers and lovely gold shimmer. So eye-catching. Thank you for sharing your *shine* inspired card at Inkspirational Challenges~
~c

Unknown

Gorgeous card! I love how much detail you have on those flowers. :) Thank you for sharing on this weeks Artistry Challenge! Be sure to come back Saturday-Monday to vote for your favorite two crafts. :)
Melissa - Vandicrafts

cotnob

This is a fabulous card, such a wonderful design.
Thank you for joining us at Paper Creator for our Anything Goes Challenge.
Pauline
x

Gwyneth

What a gorgeous creation.
Thank you very much for entering the "Dragons Lair Designs" "Autumn Colours" challenge this month. Good luck.
Gwyneth DT

Post a Comment