Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sensational Sunday Inspirations

Good Morning Stampers!

Welcome to the Loves Rubberstamps weekly Sensational Sunday Blog Hop! The Design Team has created some gorgeous projects for your Inspiration. Check out each link and leave a comment. If you get lost along the way, each stop will have a full list of links. One of the Design Team posts is the hop's Sensational Sunday Sweet Spot and a name will be drawn from that list of comments to be in a monthly drawing for a $20 Loves Rubberstamps Gift Voucher! We will draw the winner of the Voucher the 1st Sunday of each month from all the comments left on the design team blogs! Remember, you have until 8:00 pm CST Saturday to leave your comments!

How is your weekend going? My Friday was spent doing the business taxes for both my business and my husbands. Talk about a not fun day that was! LOL! I think I put off doing them longer and longer every year :( 

So after my mentally exhausting day I actually took a mini me break, spent some time in my craft studio and made a project to share with you today! I know....it has been a looooonnnng while!

I have been intrigued by a project I came across called the Documented Life Project. This is where you combine an art journal with a planner. Each week they give you a prompt and you are supposed to use it as inspiration for your page. Well I didn't get to start at the beginning of the year so I have been more of a lurker and following how others interpret the prompts and what they create. It is really interesting. 

I have been fascinated by art journals for a long time, I spend many (way too many!) hours on youtube watching tutorials on art journal pages. Trying to learn tips, tricks and must have products to try and make myself feel comfortable to try it out. It is intimidating but today I decided to just jump in! 

I didn't have a particular prompt from The Documented Life in mind when I made this but I knew for sure I wanted to use the planner/art journal style for my page. They did feature a prompt of 5 Layers which this would fit under - Tissues Paper, Gesso, Distress Stain & Ink, Patterned Paper & Stamped Images. Now that I have started hopefully I will be able to do a page a week to stay up on this project! So here is what my page turned out like....


Now I LOVE how this turned out in the end but I have to say when I just had the background and hadn't got very far I didn't really like how it was looking and felt like I ruined my brand new journal by making a disaster. LOL! But I kept at it adding layers and colors and it really came together. Now I can't stop looking at it and can't believe that I made it - LOL!

I really love watching Vicky Papaioannou on You-Tube (She is AMAZING) and she does a great job with her tutorial videos. On one of her videos I watched she said that if you are not sure where to start, cover your pages with tissue paper and it becomes less intimidating. So that is what I did to get myself started. I used Tim Holtz's Melange Tissue and glued it down with Gel Medium. Then I put Faber-Castell Gesso on top and then used distress stains in the colors, Tumbled Glass, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade. I sponged Walnut Stain and Black Soot around the edges.

The large tree branch is actually a winter tree from an old Tattered Angels set that I just used like a branch. I stamped it in Archival Ink and then filled it in with my Black Big Brush Pen. Then I used a Turquoise color Big Brush Pen to outline the branches. (LOVE LOVE LOVE these pens!)

That stunning bird is from the DoveArt Studio collection. I think it is so beautiful! I colored it with copics and then cut it out, popping it up on dimensionals. I added some little pink flower punchies from a Stampin' Up punch to the tree branches to try and tie in with the flowers in the bird stamp. 
The believe stamp is from a Katy Sue Designs Wishes & Vines set from Flower Soft. I created the sentiment from the computer. One thing I learned is that if you create a sentiment with your computer...don't attempt gel medium on the top...it will be smeary (can you see on the A BIRD part) That is how you learn I guess! 

The stamp image on my border is from the Tattered Angels Architectural Trims set. I also added some whipped spackle through a Crafter's Workshop Stencil called Well Rounded. It has a variety of texture style patterns on it. I did notice that the whipped spackle almost soaked up some of the ink from my page and kind of colored itself. I am not sure if it is supposed to do that or if I should have sealed something or what ...but I like how it turned out so it is all good :)

I should say that the journal I am using is the small 5"x8" Dylusions Creative Journal. It is a great size I think for this style of art journal/planner and since I plan on using a lot of stamped images it seems like a great size for that. Plus it is WAY less intimidating then the large one since I am a beginner! LOL! 

Here is a close up of that gorgeous bird on a branch image...


Also... I wanted to share a few pictures I snapped of a Male House Finch who was singing his little heart out in our tree the other day :) I have waited all Winter to see some birds so I could try my new camera on some bird shots - LOL! 






Now let's hop along and see what the Design Team ladies have in store for you...

Laura - Loves Rubberstamps Blog - You are here...
Thanks for stopping by!
Laura!

Other Supplies Used on My Project:
Tattered Angels - Chillin'
Katy Sue Designs Silhouette Stamps - Wishes & Vines
Tim Holtz Distress Stain - Tumbled Glass, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade (will be in the store soon!)
Crafter's Workshop 6"x6" Stencil  - Well Rounded (will be in the store soon)
Big Brush Pens - Used the Black, Brown & Turquoise Colors
Tim Holtz Melange Tissue (will be in the store soon)
Stampin Up Flower Trio Punch


I will be entering this in the following challenges:
Sassy Studio Designs - Anything Goes
Scrap & Craft - Flowers
Addicted to Stamps & More - Anything Goes
Scrapper's Delights - Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Deep Ocean Challenge - Vintage
Shopping Our Stash - I Made This
Crafting From the Heart - Anything Goes #51
Love To Scrap - Anything Goes
Brown Sugar Challenge - Anything Goes





19 comments:

Blankina

Absolutely fabulous Laura!! Wow love all colours and details, such an artist!
Happy you have been crafting again...now I pop over to the shop to see the new goodies!
HUgs Blankina

Holly AKA KopyKat

Oh my Gosh, this is so fabulous. LOVE your journal art page. Your hours of lurking and watching really paid off, this is so beautiful. And it's your first one! Your new camera takes great pics!

Unknown

Wow your journal art page is just awesome! I always think about starting one but I just keep putting if off! Maybe you will give me the inspiration I need!

Karen Letchworth

This is ORGEOUS, Laura! What a blessing to see that you have linked to our challenge. Thanks so much, and have a blessed week!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

cm

WOW! Your journal art is impressive, rich with details and images that are captivating! You've certainly found an outlet for your creative expression! Thank you for sharing this beautiful artistry in the ATSM gallery!
~c

sue-b

Love it xx

karalschuknecht

This is beautiful,I really love this art journal page. The bird and flowers are awesome. Thanks for joining us this week at Sassy Studio Designs.
Karal SSD DT

Barbara Godden

Gorgeous art journal pages, the bird and flowers are fabulous, thanks for playing along with us at Shopping our Stash for the I made this challenge.

Bellibone

Stunning!!
♥CharmingChicCards♥

Chana Malkah

Absolutely stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with us here at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

Denice

What a gorgeous page....you make mixed media look easy! All the details make this planner a page of wonder!

Wei Wei

Such a gorgeous journal art page. Love all the wonderful details! Thank you for sharing at ATSM.

Tanja

love everything about your creation - thanks for sharing your beautiful art journal page at ATSM this week

M DelValle

Beautifully done!! Thank you for joining us at Scrapper's Delights! Maria

Olivia1

Oh, this is just lovely. The sentiment is perfect! Thank you for joining us at Love to Scrap. Linda :)

Unknown

I can not believe this is your first art journal page, I am a newbie also...Your page is amazing...

Kim Kelley

What a fun journal page! love it. Thank you for joining us at Sassy Studio Designs and the DTBST challenge this week! HUGS

Kim
SSD DT

Kikka Cards

I had a very happy week-end: my kid had his first basketball match!
I love Vicky Papaiouannu too!

Julie Schinkel

Love this journal page, it's stunning! Thanks for playing along with us at Love to Scrap! Challenge Blog. Hugs, Julie

Post a Comment