Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Special Delivery!!

Hi Stampers!

Today is my design team day for The Cutting Cafe and this week we were given the Postage Stamp Shaped Card as our piece to design with.  Now, this is a shaped card and Regina told us we had free reign on how to decorate it! Well, usually that is a great thing EXCEPT...that this whole week my Mojo has been on vacation and no matter what I tried, I just haven't been able to make anything worth a darn! Soooo...I have been pouring over the internet, looking for inspiration and then last night when I still was no closer to figuring out what I wanted to do, I remembered a super gorgeous card that my coloring idol, Alyce from Kit and Clowder had done with the most gorgeous two-tone colored dress...AND... I remembered that she had made a coloring video on how she did it. So I decided to watch it and see if that helped spark some Mojo. Well, when you watch one of Alyce's videos, you are instantly hooked and I ended up watching all 16 of her videos...LOL! Yes, all 16! BUT... I have to say that it was TOTALLY WORTH every minute! I really learned a TON and besides now needing every copic color they make, I was sooo inspired to try some of her technics out!

Now, I only have 12 copics so far, pathetic I know, and they are all skin and hair colors, but I was super excited that I actually had the four colors that Alyce used in her Flynn - hair & skin coloring video, so I could try her hair technique with the same colors!! YAY! I had to compromise on the skin colors because I only had 2 of the 4 that she uses, so I used the blush color I had R20 and in place of her E000 base color I used a Spectrum Noir Color - F2. But I still followed her principles. I had to use Spectrum Noirs on my clothes and also to try out Alyce's Stippling Background Technique also :)

Here is my final result....



EEEEKKKK!!! I still can't believe that I colored this - LOL! I can't stop looking at it :) This image is called Welcome Little One from Crafty Sentiments Designs. That cute little postage stamp saying is one that comes with the Postage Stamp Shaped Card template! I made my first rolled flower (purple one) and placed it on top of a Fancy Flourish Die-Namics. I actually layered the flourish behind my image panel because I didn't want to cover part of the image up.

I decided to make this into an easel card so here is a look at this open...





That cute little postcard was in my Simple Stories paper pack called Baby Steps. I cut it out using die from the My Favorite Things Dies-Namics Postage Stamp Stax, sponged it with Tim Holtz Walnut Stain distress ink, then stamped it with a sentiment from the Hello Baby stamp set from Flourishes.

This card took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R because after I colored my image and was so impressed with myself that I was scared to mess it up - LOL! This image took me about 4 hours to color because I am as slow as molasses since I am learning! I could really tell a difference in how I was able to do the hair with copics and get the super fine feather strokes with them, then when I tried to do the clothing and had to use spectrums. Their nib is not very flexible and doesn't have as fine a tip so I couldn't get the super fine strokes like I could with copics. But, I have to make do with what I have and both types of markers just take practice. After watching Alyce's videos I think my coloring vastly improved already!

Here is a closer look at my Momma-To-Be...


And if you want to see the coloring difference...here is my very last coloring attempt from 2 weeks ago using the same copic hair colors as on my card today....


It's amazing I think!! When you get a chance check out Alyce's videos, she is such a talented lady and a great teacher, they really are an amazing resource if you are just starting out coloring with copics like I am.

But first... be sure to pop over to The Cutting Cafe and get yourself this super cute Postage Stamp Shaped Card! You will love it!

If you want to know the colors I used on my card today...

Skin - Spectrum Noir - F2 - Copics - E00, E11, E13, R20
Hair - Copics - E11, E13, E15, E18
Dress - Spectrum Noirs - IB1, IB2, IB3, BT7
Bow - Spectrum Noirs - LV1, LV2, LV3
Stippling Background - IG1, IG2, IG3, Blender Pen

Thanks for stopping by!
Laura

Pin It

Challenges I am entering this into:

Crafty Sentiments Designs - Fancy Folds Cards
Divas By Design - Fancy Folds
Penny's Paper Crafty - Anything Goes
Deep Ocean Challenge - Letter "B" - Mine is Baby Bump :)
Bunny Zoe's - Flowers & Pearls

20 comments:

Regina Easter

you did a FANTASTIC JOB GIRL on coloring this...wow wow wow wow

PaperDaisies

Wowzers. This is just fabulous. Great job with the colouring. Hugs Nina

Angi Barrs

Super sweet. Love the doily and flowers.

Athina

Wow Laura!!! You knocked the coloring out of the park! Just awesome!

Jac’s Playground

Gorgeous card, love the postal stamp shape and your colouring is awesome, thanks for joing us at Divas By Design this week.

Anonymous

Just gorgeous. love the images so sweet
Hugs julie P

Holly AKA KopyKat

Wow, your coloring is fabulous, I love that you watched the videos and then got right to work, I did this myself for months and months and still have to go find some coloring mojo once in a while. So cute!!! Love this whole card and yes, you found your mojo!

Alyce Kit and Clowder

Laura you have done such an amazing job!!! I so love the beautiful colouring of her dress and hair! ^_^ Thank you so much for your lovely comments and I am so glad the videos helped a little!! :D You are doing fantastic hun....now all you need to do is work on getting more copics! LOL! ;) xx

Jean Cross

Wonderful coloring. You really are a master.

Unknown

My goodness, your colouring is something else. Well done! I'm not surprised you were scared to mess the card up. Maddy x

Carolyn Wolff

So beautiful. There are so many details to look at. Great job.

Olivia

Ohhh Laura I LOVE IT! This came out so amazing. Going to have to hop over to watche some of her videos later today. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Sentiments hun

Rose

this is georges and your coloring is awesome :)

rachel

just beautiful - awesome colouring and that image is just perfect! Hugs xx

Anonymous

Lovely Card!
Thanks for join us At Crafty Sentiments Designs!

Greets Claudia x

Audrey Ernst (hippieaud)

Gorgeous Laura! I can see the coloring difference, although I always thought your coloring was amazing:) Loving this fun shaped easel and that ribbon adds a beautiful touch. Thanks so much for playing at Crafty Sentiments this week, always a joy to see you playing along, especially with a CS imahe:)

Jackie

Simply stunning creation! I love the shape you used and your coloring is amazing! Keep up the hard work! Thank you for joining us this week at the Crafty Sentiments Designs Challenge! I hope you play along with us again soon!

Jackie, Crafty Sentiments Designs DT

Marcy

OMG Laura! Your coloring is so fantastic! I'm going to check out her vids to get some great techniques. Beautiful card! i love it!!!

Laurian

Fabulous colouring and wonderful design!
Thanks for joing us at Penny's Paper Crafty and I hope we see you again soon!

Hugs

Laurian

Mina

wow beautifully coloured Laura and I love the colours you chose for her...thanks for joining in with our Bunny Zoe's Crafts monthly Challenge
Mina xxx

Post a Comment